IMBCS Special Endurance Event: Sugar Cubed Marathon
Sugar Bottom Recreational Area
Sunday, May 22, 2016
Marathon mtb category only
Race Director: Mike Frasier, ICORR, Goosetown Racing
The Sugar Bottom trail system was established in 1990 and has continued to expand over the years. Thanks to volunteers’ trail work it currently consists of about 12 miles of pure single track goodness. The trails are actively maintained by ICORR volunteers and are built to minimize erosion and environmental impact. ICORR asks that you please ride only on the designated trails and only when they are officially open. (Riding off the trails or when the trails are closed is subject to a fine.)
For this special endurance event, every green, blue, and black trail in the park will be included. There are approximately 1400 feet of elevation gain in each 12-mile lap. Race will run opposite of normal posted directions.
The course will start at the beach lot, sprint up to the high-water entrance, and enter the main loop, where it will proceed counter-clockwise to the ICORR shelter. The shelter is where the counted laps begin and end. Racers must start their final lap before the clock hits 4 hours.
The fast set will get in four laps, mere mortals (like our race director) will get in three. And if you decide two, or even one, is enough, no problem. You will still be scored a finish, no DNFs. The primary goal for this event is to have fun riding our bikes with our friends, while enjoying a challenging course on the way.
Categories, Start Times, and Distances
|11:00 a.m.||Men’s Marathon||4 Hours||$30 online
$35 same day
|11:05 a.m.||Women’s Marathon||4 Hours||$30 online
$35 same day
Schedule subject to change. Classes may be combined and/or races shortened if conditions warrant.
Registration and Awards
- Online registration closes at 2:00 p.m. CDT on Friday, May 20th (1:00 p.m. MDT 5/20/16).
- Race day registration opens at 9:00 a.m. and closes at 10:30 a.m.
- Equal men’s and women’s cash payouts, five places deep. $100, $75, $50, $40, $30.
- Special Game-within-the-Game Single Speed class: We’ll score SS with the main field, but we’ll have some special awards for the top three SS riders in the field.
- Held under USAC permit #2016-1605.
- The folks from Geoff’s Bike and Ski will be grilling up burgers and brats at the ICORR Shelter after the race, so pack your favorite beverage and hang out with us and enjoy some food.
- This special endurance event is the first of two races at Sugar Bottom in 2016. The second will be the Sugar Botton Scramble on August 21st.
- Camping available within the park. Make reservations online.