IMBCS #5 Whiterock Conservancy Liberty Bell Cup
Coon Rapids, Iowa
Sunday, July 3, 2016
Marathon mtb category included
Trail run included
Race Director: Maria Ruhtenberg, IMBCS Advisory Board
Whiterock Conservancy is a 5,500 acre non-profit land trust that balances sustainable agriculture, natural resource protection, and public recreation on the landscape. Located near Coon Rapids, Iowa along seven miles of the Middle Raccoon River valley, they are open to the public every day for recreation and exploration.
With 16 miles of bike optimized singletrack trails and 12 miles of shared used trails, there is plenty of room to find new adventures. Trails are professionally designed and built to have varying degrees of difficulty to test and build your skills.
Plan is to have the course marked by Friday evening. Come out Saturday and pre-ride.
Red line = Cat 1, Comp, Cat 2, Marathon, and Fat Bike
Cyan (light blue) line = Cat 3 and Juniors
We also have a contingency alternate route available if it rains (It won’t), so plan on racing regardless of the weather!
Runners will do a lap around Big Dipper, starting and ending at the Star Field Campground.
Cat 3 and Juniors
Cat 3 and Juniors will start at River House Barn off Fig Avenue and follow the light blue line on the map. From the party barn you’ll race down the Redrock Spur double track and then turn right and climb up into the Bobcat Trail to return.
All Other Races
Cat 1, Comp, Cat 2, Marathon, and Fat Bikes will start at the Star Field Campground trailhead and follow the red line on the map.
The course follows part of Little Dipper, into Big Dipper, and into Shooting Star to the creek/road crossing. The road crossing will be traffic controlled so you don’t need to worry when racing. Once you cross the road you will ride Riverside Trail to the 805 Cabin which is the feed zone. From 805 Cabin you head up the double track into Long Creek Trail. You will then do laps of Long Creek, with the number depending on your category. There will be officials at the Long Creek/Riverside intersection to help you do the correct number of laps. Once you have completed your laps of Long Creek you will then head back out Riverside to the road. The finish line will be along Riverside so that if you are in a close race there is an opportunity to pass at the final moment!
Feed Zone Information: Prior to the race start there will be a pickup truck available to take your food/drinks to 805 Cabin. This will be a staffed station. Please label your supplies and the person staffing the station will group your feed together. There will likely not be enough time for you to get to the feed zone prior to the race start, but we will do our best to get supplies out as early as possible so that you may have a chance during warmup to arrange.
Categories, Start Times, and Distances
|9:00 a.m.||Trail Run||1 Lap (~4 Miles)||$20|
|10:30 a.m.||Cat 3 Novice||1 Modified Lap (~5 Miles)||$20|
|10:32 a.m.||Juniors||1 Modified Lap (~5 Miles)||$15|
|10:30 a.m.||Marathon||4 Hours||$35|
|10:32 a.m.||Fat Bike||1 Lap (~8.3 Miles)||$25|
|12:00 noon||Kids Race||TBD||FREE|
|12:30 p.m.||Men Cat 1||4 Laps (~23.6 Miles)||$35|
|12:32 p.m.||Comp||3 Laps (~18.6 Miles)||$30|
|12:34 p.m.||Women Cat 1||3 Laps (~18.6 Miles)||$35|
|12:36 p.m.||Men Cat 2 Sport||2 Laps (~13.6 Miles)||$25|
|12:38 p.m.||Women Cat 2 Sport||2 Laps (~13.6 Miles)||$25|
Schedule subject to change. Classes may be combined and/or races shortened if conditions warrant.
Registration and Awards
- Online registration closes at 11:00 p.m. CDT on Friday, July 1st (10:00 p.m. MDT 7/1/16).
- Trail Run registration is on-site only.
- On-site registration is at Star Field from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Make note of your start location and be sure you have time to register and get to your start.
- Cash or prizes for the top three in each category.
- Held under USAC permit #2016-1581.
- USAC Mountain Bike Cross Country State Championship Race.
- All races start at Star Field Campground, except Juniors and Cat 3, who start near River House Barn.
- Special drawing for swag for those who pre-register.
- Hamburgers, hot dogs, and beer after the race at Star Field Campground.
- Visit the Whiterock Conservancy website for more information on this unique venue.
- Camping available on site in the Star Field Campground. Details below…
Star Field Campground is the place to be Saturday before the race. It has a showerhouse with real toilets and showers. There are 13 official camping spots with fire rings and they are first come first served, but the entire Star Field Campground has been made available for the race as well, so there is plenty of camping available. The cost is $12 per tent, $18 for campers. No RV hookups.
- There will be a community grill at Star Field Campground available for cooking Saturday night. It will be fired up around 6:00 p.m. There will be beer and music.
- Saturday there will be guided rides on the trails starting at 2:00 p.m. and a night ride as well. Bring your lights as it gets dark there.