Seven Oaks ON! with Partial Race Delay

Here is the official word from race director, Derek Brewer, Saturday evening:

We are on for the race!! We will DELAY Cat 3 and Juniors to START AT 11:00. MARATHON: normal start at 11:00. CAT 2, COMP, and CAT 1: normal start at 1:00. I rode the whole course. We hope to use the entire course but it will depend on how some areas dry by race time. Thanks!!

Cat 3 and Juniors WAS 9:30 a.m., NOW 11:00 a.m.
Marathon was and is 11:00 a.m.
Cat 2, Comp, and Cat 1 was and is 1:00 p.m.

The Cat 3 (upper) loop will be available for pre-ride Sunday morning before the race. Availability of the full loop will be a race day decision.

Seven Oaks Race Page


Seven Oaks Race Is On Unless an Announcement Is Made Otherwise

The Seven Oaks race director, Derek Brewer, asks for our patience:

RACE IS ON UNTIL IT IS CANCELLED. Please have patience everyone. This rain stinks but we still have almost 48 hrs until race time. As of now I do not plan to make a call until EARLY Sunday, in time for those traveling a distance. That’s not great for those wanting to camp, but we also are motivated to get this race in. As other races have done we have the option of a delayed start as well. Please stay tuned. Thanks, Derek

Seven Oaks MTB Race – 3rd time’s a charm – is set to go this Sunday Aug. 30

Hope you are ready for another great day of IMBCS racing. Please see start time details and other important info on the flyer and the race page.Bike Race_Revised_Aug30_v2-page-001
A couple of points to highlight:
1.  The course is in great shape, MUCH improved from early this spring.  Please come in time (Or Saturday) to pre-ride and see the new berms, switchbacks, revamped bridges…
2. Thanks to Seven Oaks for giving racers FREE camping on Saturday night!  The forecast for Saturday and Sunday couldn’t be much better for a campout so take advantage!
** If camping, just tell the staff at the lodge, or the camp host that you are racing and pick your spot. It is a FIRST COME FIRST SERVED campground so no reservations to make.
3.  PLEASE PREREGISTER if you can since we are having chip timing, and it will make getting number plates ready ahead of time much easier for everyone.  Preregistration is open until 12:00 noon on Friday Aug. 28.
4. The forecast, so far, looks to be chances of rain Thursday and Friday morning, then dry by Friday noon and through all of Sunday.  As usual though, stay tuned to the website and/or the imbcs facebook page for the latest updates.

August Quartet of Races concludes this weekend!

We’ve got another exciting IMBCS scheduled race for this weekend to conclude our Quartet of August Races!

This weekend’s race takes place on another perennial favorite here in Iowa – Seven Oaks. IMBCS history is filled with racing at this venue and has drawn racers from all over the region.

Third time’s a charm – or so the US version of the proverb says. Other versions: One is sure to succeed at a task or event on the third try. Or….The third time you try to do something, it will work. And then there is even the Shakespeare version in The Merry Wives of Windsor that says: “….this is the third time; I hope good luck lies in odd numbers….”

Continue reading August Quartet of Races concludes this weekend!

Seven Oaks Race Postponed Again

Official word from Seven Oaks race director, Derek Brewer:

Due to the rain last night, we are sad to say we will have to postpone the race for tomorrow at Seven Oaks. I am very disappointed after seeing how good it looked yesterday, but it just doesn’t appear that it will be able to dry much today. At my house, 15 miles from Seven Oaks, we only had about 2/10″, but there was considerably more here. Thanks to all that have been following the updates and making plans.

Information about a new date will be posted on Facebook and the IMBCS website soon

Seven Oaks Trail Looks Good

Official word from Seven Oaks race director, Derek Brewer:

Just got back from the trails…weed wacked and hiked 1–1.5 miles and I was happy with what I saw. Trails are overall FIRM and TACKY. Like Adam said, very few puddles and greasy spots. I had no problem hiking in my smooth boots.


Saturday evening’s rain is forecasted to stay south, and Sunday is supposed to stay dry until later. SO, don’t make other plans just yet, get your gear packed, buy some bug spray, and COME RACE with us on SUNDAY!!! Keep checking back here for any updates. THANKS!!

IMBCS #3 Rescheduled for June 14th at Seven Oaks!

The soup is just too thick to hold a viable race this Sunday at Seven Oaks…


There were two factors being fought to get this one together. One, some trail damage from a prior event had left trouble spots that just could not be addressed in time for this Sunday. Two, the amount of rain in the past week has left things simply too soggy to be able to dry out in time even for a shortened upper loop course to be considered. There have been more bouts of heavy rain falling today at Boone which has pushed everything over the edge.

The landowner at Seven Oaks as well as trail steward Adam Brooks, and race director Derek Brewer have decided to cancel Sunday’s event and rescheduled the race for Sunday, June 14th. Online Registration will now be extended for 2 weeks to allow for that date change. The electronic race timing company has confirmed they are available to be at the race on June 14th. So in the course of this morning with phone calls, site visits, new rain, and obvious concerns – all of the pieces are now in place so the trail can be ready for the event to take place on June 14th.

We apologize for those who had plans to camp and attend the race this weekend, but we do hope that everyone adjusts their schedules and can now attend on Sunday, June 14th.

Look for an announcement to help with trail work at Seven Oaks on Facebook. Adam and Derek will organize that and it would be greatly appreciated if you have the time, tools, and ability to pitch in and help them get the beloved Seven Oaks trails back into shape.

Seven Oaks Race Postponed to June 14

Official word from Seven Oaks race director, Derek Brewer:

Sorry all to have to postpone. The trail coordinator for Seven Oaks has closed the trails due to all the rain we have received.


We will plan to use the June 14 date, same start times. We will get the registration system opened up again so you will have about two more weeks to pre-register! Thanks for your understanding. We want to have a better course and conditions in two weeks.


Keep checking the IMBCS website for additional information on the race.


Check the Seven Oaks MTB Facebook group for updates on the trails and how you can help out. The trails may be opened possibly next week. While some areas may be closed, when it is good to ride, tires on it will help.

IMBCS Race Director Spotlight: Derek Brewer

We’ve got am exciting IMBCS scheduled race for this weekend!

Free Saturday Night Camping at Seven Oaks. Thrills. Hills. Spills. New Berms. Electronic Chip Timing.  Food Truck. Local Sponsors. Sunny. 70 degrees forecast for race day. Hammer Nutrition Sponsored Marathon Race Category. Prizes. Equal Cash Payouts for top overall spots in CAT I Men and Women. New Race Director who has been working super hard since last Fall to get this event ready.

Talk about a recipe for a perfect weekend of racing!!!

Load up the cars/SUVs/vans/18 wheelers and drive the 49 miles from downtown Des Moines, 118 miles from downtown Cedar Rapids, 141 miles from Iowa City, 160 miles from Omaha, 200 miles from Quad Cities, 133 miles from Gravity, Iowa or wherever it is you park your mountain bike overnight!!! Boone is about as central in Iowa as it gets (30 miles to the west from the geographical center point of Iowa). Seven Oaks Recreation is one of Iowa’s ski areas, so there are indeed hills. Yes, tell all your relatives and friends that live in other states that we do actually have skiing and mountain biking in Iowa!

Continue reading IMBCS Race Director Spotlight: Derek Brewer

IMBCS Weather Policy Reminder…

A reminder that the IMBCS weather policy can be found HERE.

That being said, the race is always considered on until an official announcement is made that it isn’t. Options for race day include course alteration for a safe venue, a weather delay if needed, or in the event of conditions being too gnarly and unsafe – it could lead to a full blown postponement to the alternate date.

We do have a race scheduled for this Sunday, May 31st at Seven Oaks in Boone, Iowa. The final determinations will be made this weekend (Saturday evening or even on Sunday morning) whether or not a course will be satisfactory for the event to take place as scheduled. Until then, plan on the race taking place and avoid speculation that what you may have seen or experienced an entire 7 or 8 days before the event (or even less) means that an event is going to be canceled.

Continue reading IMBCS Weather Policy Reminder…